Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Round Seven

Wednesday September 15


Here we go on our second half. Cody was a little nervous coming into it. He wasn't sure why, but he just didn't feel good. I guess listening to your instincts isn't so bad he must have known something wasn't right.


Cody had a reaction to this oxaliplatin this is the drug that gives him the cold sensitivity. Normally when he is given this drug he starts the sweats and goes pail looking. This hasn't happened though the last several times. They say that after a while your body can form a sensitivity to some drugs and that's exactly what happened. I noticed that he was starting to go blotchy and red spots on his face. Cody said he was feeling fine so I didn't think anything of it. I looked at him again and his face was quit red. Again I asked him if he was feeling o.k and he insisted he was fine. At this time I'm getting concerned and I'm watching him very closely. Not even minutes later his face was BRIGHT RED. I mean as red as a tomato and started to form welts on his hand. The nurse noticed about the same time I did and immediately stopped his pump. They had to hurry and get his oxygen levels along with his blood pressure. He went into epileptic shock. I guess you can actually die in the chair if you don't catch it in time. So it took a while to get everything under control, but it came back after a bag of benadryl and a steroid. Then they were able to start the oxaliplatin up again. He did fine with it the second time around, but it was lights out after he was given the benadryl.



We will try again in round eight and they will start with the benadryl first and hope he doesn't have a reaction again. If so we will have to pull him off and reevaluate the situation on where we go from there.

2 comments:

  1. That must've been so scary! Hang in there. I'm glad it got under control!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh that is so crazy! I'm sorry:(

    ReplyDelete